Wednesday, February 3, 2010

sin of the tongue

made a really stupid comment last night in our deacons meeting. it was in the context of joking around, and it was just untimely and inappropriate under the circumstances. one of those moments where you just blurt something out before really thinking about it, and then you realize...wow, that was really dumb. ever have one of those moments?

well, it just revealed to me my lack of self-control with my words. and when i rid myself of vague and fancy terminology to explain and diminish my actions, it boils down to one word: sin. i've sought forgiveness from the LORD and from those in the meeting last night for my words. it may not have seemed like a big deal to some...but it's a gross sin to spout off without restraint revealing the carelessness of my heart.

i often come back to proverbs 10:19 which simply says, "when words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent." LORD, i want to be a prov. 10:19 man! i had to admit to myself this morning that i'm unfortunately not very good with humor. i love to laugh, and i love to joke around...but too often my humor ends up with my foot in my mouth...or worse, hurting someone. how i long to be able to joke around and have a good time with people in a way that is truly pleasing to the LORD. i want Him to be chuckling with me...not forced to prick my heart because of sin with my careless tongue.

No comments: